The tank, manufactured in England, possibly in Birmingham, was in
previous action in Flanders. On 22nd August 1917, Deborah D51,
commanded by 2/Lt.George Ranald Macdonald was waiting to go into
action in the area of Poelcapelle when she was hit by a shell on the
track. The Commander was badly wounded and D51 was replaced by
another tank for that action and subsequently repaired. After
Flanders the ‘D’ Battalion was sent to the Base Camp in Wailly. On
November 6th some tactical training was carried out with the 51st
Highland Division. On November 13th the Battalion entrained at
Beaumetz-les-Loges and arrived at Plateau station the next day.
Fascines [large bundle of wood to assist in trench crossing] were
drawn and fitted. On November 18th D51 was entrained at Plateau and
detrained at Ytres and drove to the south edge of Havrincourt Wood
and made ready for battle.
Next: Deborah during the Battle of Cambrai